Researching Wheel Finishes Before You Buy – a Smart Decision
For any substantial purchase you make in life, it’s smart to do some up-front research before committing your hard-earned money. To the extent possible, you’ll want to know things like: Is the product or service you’re considering high quality? Does it represent a good value for the money? Are others who purchased it satisfied, and do they recommend it? Is it supported by a company that stands behind it and will be there for you?
It’s no different when it comes to considering custom wheel finishes for your Lexus, BMW, Infiniti, or other luxury-brand vehicle. Luxury wheel/rim finishes are a substantial investment. Yet, beyond dollars and cents, they are a reflection (in some cases, literally) of your style and taste; they help to define your personal brand, wherever the road leads you. It’s no stretch to say that you should be 100% sold on the wheel finishes you select before making the purchase.
In this regard, you can rely on advertising, testimonials, word of mouth, and more to validate your decision; but independent research is your best friend. That’s where the Specialty Equipment Market Association (SEMA) comes in.
SEMA is a trade association consisting of manufacturers, distributors, retailers, publishing companies, auto restorers, street-rod builders, restylers, car clubs, race teams, and more, all of whom work to protect consumers’ rights to drive accessorized, customized, and vintage vehicles. A love for cars, trucks, and SUVs is the motivating force behind SEMA; its members make, buy, sell, and use all kinds of specialty parts and accessories to make vehicles more attractive, more unique, more convenient, faster, safer, more fun, and even like-new again.
In 2019, SEMA issued its annual Market Report that specifically references the custom wheel market. Three key points stand out:
- In terms of where custom wheel purchases are made:
- 3% occur directly through a bricks-and-mortar parts manufacturer (and 5% online)
- 13% occur at new car dealerships
- 10% occur through a bricks-and-mortar specialty retailer/installer/restyler (and 11% online)
- 19% occur through a bricks-and-mortar tire shop such as GoMobile Tires (and 6% online)
The takeaway here: Wheel Craft is available in, and represented by, nearly half of the entire custom wheel channel. The channel’s widespread acceptance of our luxury ICE™ wheel finishes as evidenced by SEMA data is a testament to their beauty, durability, and popularity.
- In terms of vehicle types that are targeted for custom wheels:
- Upscale cars represented 11%
- Mid-range cars represented 18% (note: some mid-range and upscale/luxury cars are interpreted as applicable for both categories)
- SUVs represented 14%
- Sports cars represented 10%
The takeaway: Double-digit percentages of upscale vehicle, mid-range vehicle, and SUV owners are ordering custom wheels for their vehicles—again, as evidenced by SEMA research. It’s likely your neighbors, coworkers, and friends are among them.
- 25% of wheel purchases are made through tire stores. In accordance with that, Wheel Craft has a relationship with GoMobile Tires that not only allows you to purchase ICE-finished original factory wheels along with tires, but enables you to do so separately, without any hassle, and at your convenience, since the GoMobile model is all about installing wheels at your home office or other location.
Related blog: Aftermarket vs. Factory Wheels – Which Perform Best?
The OEM wheels on a luxury vehicle have been specially engineered to give the smooth, comfortable, and reliable ride you should expect. Why install a wheel that was not designed for your car? Choose the beautiful and long-lasting ICE finish you desire to make your luxury vehicle stand out, and ensure you Arrive in Style wherever you go.
We hope this blog helps you understand how independent, third-party research can help you choose the best wheel and rim finishes for your BMW, Lexus, or Infiniti vehicle. If you’re looking to Arrive in Style wherever the road takes you, please complete our contact form below for more information on our custom wheel and rim finishes for factory-installed luxury car wheels. For dealers, we welcome the opportunity to discuss how Wheel Craft can deepen customer loyalty and drive unit sales, productivity, revenue, and CSI.
Please contact Wheel Craft at 833.639.4231 or email Ed Hollinshead, company President.